Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Sunday, October 31, 2004

You can walk, you can talk, just like me

Ahh, the last weekend of October. I take a ridiculous amount of pleasure in gaining an extra hour, and I wish we could Fall Back all the time instead of that evil Spring Forward nonsense. I just happened to look at my watch and thought," damn, where has the morning gone?" Then I realized I hadn't changed it yet, and it was like I'd won the Lottery.

I mentioned on Friday I got the Talking Heads "Once in a Lifetime" boxed set. I realize I'm way behind the curve, timing-wise, but damn this is a nice release. The big hook for me was the Storytelling Giant DVD, but if I'd realized how much I'd enjoy the remastered versions of the songs I would have gotten it a while ago. It's amazing to listen to songs I've literally heard hundreds of times and notice neat little instrumental stuff I've never been able to make out before.

I'm also delighted with the song selection. I thought leaving off both "Found A Job" and "Thank You For Sending Me An Angel" on the "Sand In The Vaseline" collection was criminal. "More Songs About Buildings And Food" is my favorite of their CDs by a smidge, and I thought not showing off their punkier side was a mistake in what was supposed to be a retrospective.