Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Sunday, December 05, 2004

I'll Put It To You Plain And Bluntly

As I listen to Ted Leo's "Shake the Sheets" on my brand new iPod, I realize that if I choose to define the best album of 2004 as the one I'd most miss never hearing again, this is it.

Which is not to take anything away from the Arcade Fire, I saw their show last night and it was most awesome. I was especially tickled by the lead singer's attire, which reminded me most of The Plimsouls, circa "Valley Girl" scenes. Funeral is a great CD, and it may move up yet, but as I write this, Ted rules all.

One of the things I love about the iPod so far is the ability to say, "Listen to this". Much more powerful than relying on my unsupported word. I still need to buy some accessories, especially a skin. I'm also leaning toward an FM transmitter, since that would not only allow me to play it easily through my existing car stereo, but simplify integrating it to not only my home stereo, but the stereos of anyone else I happen to visit or get a ride from. I'm enough of a music snob to want to push my tastes on others, even in their own homes, and I'm not likely to lose that desire. With the years, though, I've learned to accept when others really don't want their horizons broadened, no matter how cool I may personally think something is.