Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Monday, January 24, 2005

There's a million ways to sing the blues

Hola amigos. Long time, no post. Life continues on it's usual boring course in general, but I did get a chance to see a great band Saturday night, and wanted to spread the word. They're called The Features, and they hail from Tennessee, a state well-known for it's contribution to the Indie rock canon. They write great catchy songs, and tear it up on stage, which is all I really ask for in a band. I'm not a music critic, so I'm afraid I'll limit my description to saying I really, really like their stuff, and think a lot of other people would, given a chance. I was right about Arcade Fire, wasn't I? Anyway, the first link will take you to where you can get a six song EP from EMusic, and you can stream lots of different tracks at their website. They'll be in San Francisco on Friday, with Kings of Leon, which will be a much better bill than the one I saw.

They were the middle band of three, the first was a local group called Le Boom, who were adequate, but not as explosive as their name suggests. Their second song reminded me so strongly of Elizabeth Daily singing Better Off Dead during the prom scene from the movie, that I kept thinking it was that song.

The headliner was a band called Razorlight, the latest over-hyped wonder from the UK. I left after about 5 songs, and observed to several of my friends that they desperately wanted to be The Libertines, but lacked any talent, and their Moms told them to be home by 9:00. I like this quote from bettawreckonize. "The lights dimmed and this is what I saw: a fresh-faced, under bathed, criminally over-rated pop band who is sure to take the British music press by storm. Where have we seen this before?"