Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Baby, I'm bad news

Lots of new music to listen to this week. Going to try really, really hard to stick to listening to new stuff so I can complete my best of 2004 list before May. However, some quality reviewers have published their's already, and I've picked up some stuff I missed and am really liking so far.

In that Category:
Reigning Sound-Too Much Guitar (Harder edged than I usually go for, but I'm digging it)
Rilo Kiley-More Adventurous (Jenny Lewis' voice makes me happy)
French Kicks-The Trial of the Century (basic "Indie Rock", but a good example of the genre)
The Hold Steady-Almost Killed Me (catchy lyrics performed in a monotone, almost spoken word style, but it works thanks to some great instrumentation)

Stuff Flasshe mentioned recently (though not on a best of):
The Features-Beginning, and Exhibit A (Beginning is ok on first listen, Exhibit A is a snoozer) UPDATE: Listened to Exhibit A again, and I like it much better the second time through.
Starflyer 59-I Am the Portugese Blues (liking this a lot so far)
Dogs Die In Hot Cars-Please Describe Yourself (I Love You Cause I Have To is catchy enough, but I don't feel like I have to listen to the rest again anytime soon)

Going to try this weekend to make a list of all the 2004 albums I have and start trying to rank them. So far, I know Ted Leo is number 1, The Arcade Fire is in the top 5, and The Libertines and TV On The Radio are in there somewhere.