Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Thursday, December 30, 2004

What you wouldn't want to hear then anyway

Hola amigos. Been a while since my last update, been tired, or working, or compulsively playing World of Warcraft. I did slip out of work yesterday in time to catch "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou", a film I enjoyed very much. I didn't find it laugh out loud funny except for a few exceptions (Jeff Goldblum has a few good scene-steals), but it was very humorous, and I enjoyed it very much. Some really nice performances, including Willem Dafoe demonstrating that he can do a character part extremely well without chewing the scenery, in fact his performance is so restrained I doubted it was actually him until the closing credits. The soundtrack is absolutely fabulous, featuring not only my favorite Devo song, "Gut Feeling", but some wonderful acoustic versions of classic Bowie songs sung in Portugese by Seu Jorge, who also plays a character in the film who happens to sing and play guitar a lot. The soundtrack omits his version of "Queen Bitch", though Bowie's (also in the film) is on it.

I'm still trying to get my top whatever list to jell, and I'm trying to be firm with myself about not buying albums from other, more organized people's lists. I did buy one more new CD this week, though, "Sunset on Dateland", by Visqueen, since a friend recommended it and there's a rumor they're coming to the Larimer soon. Well worth more than the one listen I've had time for so far.

Female vocalist of 2004 category day here on the iPod. Been listening to Abra Moore, A Girl Called Eddy, Tanya Donelly, and Neko Case, though now that I think of it, the Visqueen album could be in that category, too, so maybe I'll play that next.