Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Don't move too fast, people, just take it slow.

I have a new theme song for my life. Went down to a dance club called the Church last night. It's really a cool layout, the main dance floor is what used to be the chapel of a turn of the century Episcopal church, and there are two other dance floors with their own DJs in the basement. My friends wanted to do the retro room, which was really pretty horrible. Mostly bad 90's club mixes of 80's songs, instead of actual 80's dance songs, which would have been much better. I hadn't thought about the possible difficulty of finding a DJ who looks good at a trendy club (which seemed to be the only reason this guy had a gig) who actually has a decent collection of 80's vinyl, but it could certainly explain the meagre selection of what I would consider a decent retro dance number. At one point though, after being chased out of the room once again by chaotic weirdness, we wound up in the hip-hop room, and that DJ had it going on. Including playing "Let's Get Retarded", by the Black Eyed Peas. You may be more familiar with the video version which has the PC lyric change to "Let's Get It Started", but the original is now my aforementioned new theme song.

That was Saturday, Friday I caught a hot set from one of my favorite local bands, Fallout Orphan, at The Walnut Room. Having them dedicate the debut of their kickass cover of "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" to me will not effect my ability to provide an honest and unbiased opinion of their extraordinary talent. Then it was off to Lounge for $1 Old Styles with friends, and a third bar I will not name because after multiple visits I have yet to enjoy myself there, despite the apparent mind control rays that have convinced most of my social circle that it's a cool place.


Alan is moving step by step, like he's into new kid