Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

You're telling me I should forget you

I've mentioned The Frames' new album, Get the Maps, before in this space. It's continued to grow on me steadily, to the point where I listen to it almost daily. I'm terrible at describing particular styles of music, and there's more than one at work here, but I will say there are songs that wouldn't be out of place on a Pixies album, which is high praise from me. Though the entire album is available on EMusic, they haven't quite embraced the idea of putting lots of MP3s up, even streaming ones (There is one, but not one of the best songs). However, there is one of those cheesy live performance videos of one of the best songs available here. Please don't hold the video part against it. My other current favorite song is Underglass, if you wanted to get a smaller taste before using up so many precious EMusic song downloads.

In other news, The Hold Steady is coming to the LL on 6/17, which will June a very good month for me indeed. New album is good, if not quite as good as Almost Killed Me.

The new Electric Six album is a bit of a letdown. There are some good songs, but no real standouts. Probably wouldn't have made an impression on me if I wasn't a fan of the band already. Could explain why there's no US release date for it, if the label is comtemplating re-recording/remastering.

Alan is talking like I should expect to