Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Out of my gun into your burning heart

The Hold Steady show last night was totally worth the wait. Everyone there had a great time, I think. It wasn't that crowded, but there were a few people who came by because the band got written up in our local alternative weekly on Wednesday. Hopefully they're now fans. The guys in the band that I talked to were genuinely nice, and according to the sound guy, totally professional and easy to work with. Only bad thing was they'd sold a lot of their merchandise before they got to Denver, and I'd been hoping to get the Lifter Puller CDs from them.

The GEDs and The Swayback, who opened the show, also put on really good sets. I don't know what it's going to take, but Denver has so many great bands who just need maybe one break, or a producer with some vision, and this could be like Athens was back in the day.

Which brings to my next point. My sig and title are taken from this song, from local favorites THe Hot IQs. The sound guy last night was playing local CDs, including this one, and though I have the CD and have heard the song many times, for some reason it just clicked with me last night, to the point of near obsession. Joe Bob says check it out.

UPDATE:
Another obsession du jour is The Anniversary, who I played the hell out of yesterday and so far today. Here's a link to an mp3 of one of their best songs, All Things Ordinary. Other songs available here, all well worth a listen, even if they are streaming only. Both of their albums are available on Emusic, I wouldn't look for a new one though, they broke up last year.

Alan crosses his arms to front philosophy