Dazed and Bemused

Drunken recollections, boring anecdotes, and obscure references

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Half of what I say is meaningless

I'm tempted to call my new band Vance Vince and the Violents, but I don't think many people would get the joke, and of those that did, not many would be interested in any kind of music I'd be interested in doing.

There's something that really bugged me when I first saw Alien vs. Predator, and continues to bug me as I watch snippets on cable for background while I work on the computer. At one point the archaeologist fellow says that the ancient whatevers used a 10-based clock, so the pyramid should shift every ten minutes. Only problem is, a minute is a fairly arbitrary unit of measure. Even assuming the ancient whatevers used the same standard for seconds (also fairly arbitrary), 600 of them makes no sense as a common unit in a 10-based system. Now I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but one of the things that makes the difference between good science fiction and bad is getting the little details right. How hard would it have been to have the character just say "I'm checking my watch, so I can figure out if there's a common interval between the shifts". Doesn't add to the image of the character as ultra-smart, which I think is what they were going for, but doesn't make him look like a dumbass, which is what the original line really does.

Alan is saying it just to please you